What is acne?
Common and Cystic acne is a skin condition caused by the inflammation of the pilosebaceous units. It is mostly evident in adolescents and, less frequently, among adults as well (Adult acne). It usually appears on the face and neck, arms, upper and lower back. The severity of acne can be classified as mild, moderate or severe.
It develops when the production of keratinocytes clogs the pores and leads to excess sebum, possibly along with the presence of bacterial agents or hormonal factors.
- Open comedones (blackheads) or closed comedones (white spots).
- Papules, pustules, red pimples, either inflammatory or non-inflammatory
- Nodules, cysts
- Fistula formation
- Scars (atrophic or hypertrophic)
After a consultation with the dermatologist and the medical examinations (when necessary), the acne symptoms are treated:
- With medication (a range of oral or topical medication)
- With invasive methods, deep dermatological cleansing using medical apparatus and instruments when necessary)
- Surgical treatment (surgical cyst opening and removal etc.)